Algebiosys™: Algenics Biomanufacturing System
Our company has been founded on several years of biotechnological research on microalgae. We have screened through the genetic diversity of these microorganisms to identify eukaryotic strains with high protein production capacity and for their therapeutic applications.
We have taken advantages of specific biological features of the diatom Phaeodactylum tricornutum to select and engineer our PTA cell line. Our proprietary platform Algebiosys™ encompasses tools and technologies specifically developed to ensure both stable genetic transformation of our cell line and high expression level of recombinant proteins based on proprietary vectors and genetic regulatory elements.
Our technological expertise is currently focused upon the production of 3 major classes of biotherapeutics:
• Monoclonal antibodies
• Viral envelope glycoproteins
• Enzymes for replacement therapy in lysosomal storage diseases
Our technology offers key competitive advantages for biomanufacturing of recombinant therapeutics:
• Enable production of complex proteins, including post-translationally modified and multimeric biotherapeutics
• Proprietary system for production of biotherapeutics bearing naturally low fucose glycans
• Proprietary system for production of biotherapeutics with terminal mannose glycans
• High quality and homogeneity of N-glycosylation to improve batch-to-batch consistency
• Biotherapeutics products in-process can be secreted into the culture broth or stored within the PTA cells to achieve high amount of encapsulated product.
Our PTA cell line is ‘generally recognized as safe’ (GRAS) and regularly tested for biosafety. We use exclusively culture media free from animal-derived components in single-use bioreactors thereby contributing to a higher safety standard over mammalian and viral expression systems. Furthermore, our strategy is to work closely to adapt our Algebiosys™ expression system to existing technology in upstream and downstream processes.
As a leading technology innovator in microalgae-based expression systems, Algenics provides access to our proprietary technology to enable design around patented manufacturing processes.